Due to popularity a second edition of the Stanley Gibbons Southern and Central Africa is to be published.
Listings for issues up to 1970 have been extracted from the 2015 Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1870–1970.
Later new issues have been revised and updated especially for this catalogue.
KEY SELLING FEATURES:
• Comprehensive priced listings of the stamps of present-day Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique (from 1995), Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
• Includes earlier stamp issuing authorities: Basutoland, Bechuanaland, British Central Africa, British South Africa Company, Cape of Good Hope, Griqualand West, Natal, Northern Rhodesia, Nyasaland, Orange Free State, Rhodesia, Rhodesia and Nyasaland, South West Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Stellaland, Transvaal and Zululand.
• Also includes Anglo-Boer War provisional issues for Mafeking and other towns and the ‘Homelands’ of Bophuthatswana, Ciskei, Transkei and Venda.
• On cover ‘multipliers’ provided for all stamps to 1945, to allow calculation of prices for stamps on cover.
• Watermark varieties, shades, plate flaws, Major errors, postage due stamps and booklets all listed and priced.
• Includes priced listings of Transvaal Republic stamps used in Swaziland and British stamps used by the Army in South Africa.
• Prices have been extensively revised throughout with a number of significant increases in early issues in particular.
• Handy size and format.
• Illustrations in colour.
NEW FOR THIS EDITION
• Government telegraph stamps of Natal, Orange Free State and Transvaal, British military telegraphs used in Bechuanaland and South Africa and the ‘Reuter’s Telegraph Service’ stamps of Matabeleland are all listed for the first time
• Several new varieties have been added since the last edition, including the ‘Lake’ and ‘Bay’ flaws on the 1965 New Constitution stamps of Bechuanaland and the ‘Dart in Gnu’s back’ on the 1930 1s. of South Africa
• The South African ’Interprovincials’ – the stamps of Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Orange River Colony and Transvaal used in their own province or in any of the other three between the establishment of the Union and the issue of its first stamps, are now fully listed and priced
DETAILED CONTENTS/COUNTRIES COVERED:
The Stanley Gibbons Southern and Central Africa Catalogue lists and prices the stamps of British Empire and Commonwealth countries in the area from the earliest issues to date, to the level of detail familiar to users of the Part 1 British Commonwealth listings.
The catalogue contains:
British Bechuanaland 1885-93
Bechuanaland Protectorate 1888-1966
British Central Africa 1891-1907
Nyasaland Protectorate 1908-54 and ’63-4
South West Africa 1923-90
British South Africa Company 1892-1909
Rhodesia and Nyasaland 1954-64
Cape of Good Hope 1853-1904
Griqualand West 1874-9
New republic 1886-7
Orange Free State/River Colony 1868-1909
British Army Post Offices 1910-61
Union of South Africa 1910-61
Republic of South Africa 1961-2013
Swaziland: 1889-92 and 1933-2012
Northern Rhodesia 1925-53 and 1963
Southern Rhodesia 1924-1953 and 1964
New issue listings updated as follows:
• Botswana (up to January 2011)
• Lesotho (up to April 2010)
• Malawi (up to July 2013)
• Mozambique (up to February 2011)
• Namibia (up to June 2013)
• South Africa (up to December 2013)
• Swaziland (up to April 2012)
• Zambia (up to November 2010)
• Zimbabwe (up to July 2013)